- MANDATORY for ALL shipments to US addresses
- OPTIONAL for Canadian and International shipments
From our beginnings in 1992 to late 2008,
it has been Solarc's policy to collect a prescription from a medical practitioner
for ALL home phototherapy device sales WORLDWIDE.
This requirement stemmed mainly from a strict legal requirement in the USA
that remains in force for all shipments to US addresses:
the Code of Federal Regulations [21CFR801.109] "Prescription Devices".
This is the same law that forces the labeling to state:
"Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician."
In Canada and the rest of the world however,
it has been demonstrated over many years and thousands of cases that these devices can be used
safely and effectively by private individuals in their own homes,
and, unlike the USA, no strict legal requirements exist.
So after much consideration, the requirement for a prescription has been eliminated.
Prescriptions are now OPTIONAL for Canadian and International shipments.
Because although prescriptions are NOT necessary for Canadians to claim the government's
Medical Expense Tax Credit,
a prescription may prove very useful if applying for coverage with your employer's
private health care insurance plan / health care spending account.
See also our
Tips for Insurance webpage.
However, even without the need for a prescription,
there remains a very important role for the physician.
- The physician's diagnosis is needed to assess if UVB phototherapy is the best treatment option;
- The physician is in the best position to judge if the patient is likely use the device responsibly;
- The physician plays a role in the ongoing safe use of the device,
including regular follow-up skin exams at least once per year,
as UV phototherapy is a known risk factor for skin cancer.
Solarc Systems Inc. strongly advises the Responsible Person to seek the advice of a physician.
Note that in all cases, the prescription does NOT have to be written by a dermatologist;
any medical doctor (MD) is acceptable, including of course general practitioners (GPs).
Nurse practitioners are also acceptable.
Solarc Systems uses the words "physician" and "healthcare professional" interchangeably to define this group.
Your physician can write the prescription:
- using the "Physician's Approval" section in the Solarc Order Form;
- in a letter on the physician's letterhead;
- on a traditional prescription pad. (Then taped to the Order Form where indicated for faxing.)
Please keep a copy of your prescription for your records. Solarc does NOT require the original.
Solarc Systems Inc., 1515 Snow Valley Road, Minesing (Barrie), Ontario, Canada L0L 1Y3
Toll Free: 1.866.813.3357 Tel: 705.739.8279 Fax 705.739.9684